CHECKMEND: Updating police lost property records

The following article is a guide on how to arrange for police loss records to be removed from a serial number. It is intended to assist CheckMEND users by providing you with step by step instructions on how to remove records that may be causing a ‘red flag’ result to appear on a CheckMEND certificate. This article assumes you are the rightful owner of the item of property and have a valid claim to ownership for it. 

Step 1: You need to find out what police force has put the loss record on your property. Even if you suspect you know what police force it is we still strongly recommend that you first contact the CheckMEND support team so we can give you some specific information about it. See the Knowledgebase article HERE for further details on this.

Step 2: Don’t panic. We are fully aware that police loss records can become associated with property serial numbers for a variety of perfectly innocent reasons and no one here is accusing you of having committed any crimes. Contacting the police can be a bit daunting but if you get stuck at any point then don’t worry. Answers to problems can be found below and if you do get stuck at any point you can still contact us for assistance. If you tell us what step you are on and what the problem you are having with it is then we will do all we can to help.

Step 3: Contact the police force responsible for creating the loss record and provide them with the loss reference number you were given when you originally reported your property missing. If you do not know the loss reference then give them the items serial number instead. They should be able to look into the records using this information and identify whether or not the loss record on it is still valid. 

Q) How do I contact the police?

Q) The police cannot delete loss records. What do I do? 

Step 4: If the police confirm that the loss report is valid and part of an outstanding investigation that cannot be closed then unfortunately it will not be possible to remove the loss record from this item and it will remain red-flagged on CheckMEND. 

Step 5: If the police confirm that the loss record can be closed, or has been judged to be there in error, then they will need to close it in their local loss report system. Should the police decide to do this then it is VERY important that you also request that they send an email to the NMPCU to inform them that the loss report has been closed. The email address of the NMPCU is:
IMPORTANT: The police force needs to contact the NMPCU because they have the ability to clear the police systems that CheckMEND bases its loss report information on. It is therefore essential that this step is not neglected by the police otherwise the red flag will still remain. 

Q) Who are the NMPCU?

Q) What if the police won’t contact the NMPCU? 

Q) What do I do if the police cannot locate the loss record?

Q) What if the police claim that the loss record has already been closed or never existed? 

Step 6: Once the police have closed the loss on their local system AND informed the NMPCU we recommend you contact us again. We can then recheck the property records for you and confirm if everything has been cleared.

Questions and Answers

How do I contact the Police?

Every police force in the UK has its own website with contact details on, so do a quick search in an internet search engine for the name of the police force and you will usually find their website within the top few results. 

You should find there are a number of options for contacting them on their website using either phone, email, or via a site based messaging system. If you decide to contact the police by phone then you should use their non-emergency contact number.

Back to Step 3

The police cannot delete loss records. What do I do?

It is not necessary for the police to completely delete the record in order to remove a red flag. When speaking with the police you should be sure to request that the record is closed, not deleted. The red flag that CheckMEND reports detect will cease to show once the loss record has been closed and the NMPCU informed of the change. 

Back to Step 3

Who are the NMPCU?

The NMPCU stands for the National Mobile Phone Crime Unit. They are a unit within the police set up to tackle and reduce mobile phone-related crime. As part of this role, they administer systems that are designed to keep track of crime and loss records for all types of property (not just mobile phones). Loss report information that causes red flags in CheckMEND comes from these systems, which is why it is important for you to make sure that police forces inform the NMPCU of any changes that they need to make.

Back to Step 5

What if the police won’t contact the NMPCU? 

This is very unusual, however in such a circumstance we recommend you try sending an email to the NMPCU yourself and ask for their assistance in looking into the matter. Their email address is

Back to Step 5

What do I do if the police cannot locate the loss record?

If the police are unable to locate the loss records then request that they run a search for the serial number using a police system called the NMPR (National Mobile Property Register) available at  

Be aware that although all police forces have access to this system, not all police officers will be familiar with it. If the person you are speaking to claims to be unable to access this then you will need to request that they escalate this to someone who can. Alternatively, you can ask the police officer to send an email to for assistance with finding out the loss reference number.

Back to Step 5 

What if the police claim that the loss record has already been closed or never existed?

This is good news! It means that there’s just an old record in the police systems that needs updating. To fix this all the police force needs to do is send an email to the NMPCU informing them of the closure of the loss report and the serial number that this relates to. The police can contact the NMPCU using the email address: 

Back to Step 5

Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.